A Heart for the World
Who This Retreat Is For
While this retreat will clearly be of benefit to Jesuits and religious whose congregations have an Ignatian charism, Brian O'Leary suggests that anyone with taste for Ignatian spirituality from their experience of the Spiritual Exercises or reading the Autobiography of Saint Ignatius will benefit from a consideration of the Constitutions. He sees that the Constitutions show how an individual and a group can live out the graces of the Spiritual Exercises. The days of the retreat elaborate how the corporate character of the Constitutions can bring a helpful balance to our world which easily emphasises personal choice and preference.
The Days of the Retreat
A video presentation is available for each day:
- Our Goal and Way of Proceeding
- Discerning and Nurturing a Call
- An Apostolic Lifestyle Under Vows
- The Longed-for Sending
- Union of the Dispersed
- Spiritual Governance
- Toward the Future in Hope
- Gathering the Fragments
Videos introducing the retreat and reflecting on the setting of Evie Hone’s ‘Sacred Heart and Jesuit Saints’ window are also offered.
This retreat will be of most benefit to those who have the text of the Constitutions to hand. The texts can be bought or borrowed:
- Buy from the Institute of Jesuit Sources: The Constitutions of the Society of Jesus and Their Complementary Norms: A Complete English Translation of Official Latin Texts
- Borrow from the Internet Archive: The Constitutions of the Society of Jesus and Their Complementary Norms: A Complete English Translation of the Official Latin Texts.
- Based on the English translation of George E. Ganss SJ originally published in 1971 and that of the Complementary Norms by Carl J. Moell SJ, a PDF is published by the Provincials of Latin America.
- Studies in the Spirituality of Jesuits: The Deliberation that Started the Jesuits
Scripture references are offered each day and may include links for convenience.