Time online: Friday 24 April 2020
- Sunday’s gospel recounts the journey of the downhearted disciples to Emmaus; Vinita Hampton Wright shares text and audio of a guided reflection
- The Vatican has issued a downloadable book entitled “Strong in the Face of Tribulation”, containing some of Pope Francis’ prayers and homilies as “a sure support in time of trial”. It is intended that it be updated regularly.
- This week’s 50th Earth Day was marked in may ways — the film, Earthrise, featured by Emergence Magazine among them. Pope Francis offered a catechesis at his General Audience. For his encyclical’s fifth anniversary, he also invites you to register to celebrate Laudato Si’ Week, to take place 16 to 24 May 2020.
- In a time of distancing, Brian McCoy SJ, Provincial of the Australian Jesuit Province, talks about the concept of isolation in the Ignatian tradition — a transcript is available as well as the video.
- While Vatican City prepares to ease coronavirus restrictions in May, Thomas Reese SJ considers How social distancing may change the way we do church as The Iona Institute notes 27% tuning into religious services, 18% praying more in lockdown.
- Sister Thérèse Wilkinson OCD, an enclosed Carmelite nun, offers her reflections on lockdown in Hermits in community from The Tablet and, in America, a similar perspective is offered in We’re all monks now.
- Care With a Prayer Campaign was launched in Jerusalem this week inviting prayer for healthcare workers. As Irish Jesuits mark the deaths in our nursing home, we pray for the deceased and for all who look after people who are dependent. Prayers for people who work in healthcare are found around the web, in video, audio and as prayer service texts.
- Even if you can’t return your Trócaire box, you are reminded of how you can support Trócaire’s work.
- CAFOD has Coronavirus prayers and describes their response to the crisis.