The ISP in Ireland
The Ignatian Spirituality Project is coordinated from an office in Chicago which supports and encourages retreat teams throughout North America. Working with this office’s project set-up advice, team training and retreat format, we are looking to adapt to a new Irish context, drawing on the experience of twenty years in the North America where the ISP:
- Offers Short residential retreats - one or two nights; follow-up day 6 weeks later.
- Works best for people who are living in transition housing and are, at least, 3 months sober, in active recovery.
- Uses a combination of Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius and 12-step Spirituality, and works on the basis of God or the Higher Power language of AA.
- Is run solely by volunteers, including the Project Co-ordinator.
- Typically runs retreats with 12 people from different hostels/transition houses accompanied by 4 facilitators.
- Runs men’s and women’s retreats separately by male and female facilitators respectively.
- May offer spiritual accompaniment individually or in groups - the hope is to build a community between volunteers and people on the margins, and to reach out to others.
An Irish volunteer team is currently being formed to undergo training in the first half of 2019, with the first retreats running August/September 2019.