Spiritual Direction (First Year) [2016-2018]
This is, at its core, a formation programme, fostering a reflective approach to life and noticing God at the heart of it.
During the first year of the course there is a focus on deepening your own spiritual life and prayer experience, furthering your capacity to reflect, developing your listening and communication skills and learning to accompany others. From the second term of the first year, you will accompany two people, under supervision.
Topics covered in the first year include:
- The scope and limits of the ministry of spiritual direction
- Personal history and the role of narrative in spiritual direction
- Development in prayer: Theology & Practice
- Psychological, Biblical & Theological aspects of spiritual direction
- Following Christ and the cost of discipleship
- Introduction to discernment
The programme is interactive, experiential and will engage participants at a personal level. Different methods are employed such as: input; case studies; ‘real’ plays; triads; discussion; guided reading; written reflection; group work and ongoing supervision on a one-to-one basis that continues throughout the two years of the programme.